My daughter, Haylee Kate, was diagnosed with APML Leukemia, which is a rare form, on November 21, 2011 at 8 years old. I thought this would be a good way for me to get my thoughts and feelings out and to let others know about her ups and downs throughout her treatment.

December 6, 2011

12/6/11 - Happy Tails and Sleepy Days



We had a better night last night because Haylee slept!!  She was up at 7am for a potty break and couldn't go back to sleep.  She began running a fever around 8:30am so they went ahead and gave her all of her AM meds as well as Tylenol and a dose of morphine for the mouth pain she was complaining about.  She got a Boost Kid Essentials down before she took a nap until 10:30am. 
The Happy Tails Therapy Dogs were downstairs in the lobby and she was really excited about them so we went to check them out (she saw different dogs Saturday with Nonna).  The dogs are really neat - they lie there or come right up to you if you stick you hand out to them. 
We went back upstairs and I showed her this blog about her.  She said, "I see it."  That was it!  Ha ha!  She hasn't had the chance to read it and once she does she will understand why it's so important to me to get this out to people and for me to just get my thoughts down.  My friend, Meth, came by for a visit and Adam came to eat lunch with us.  She was still out of bed and on the couch when they arrived.  She started complaining pretty bad about her mouth sores so the nurse came in and gave her a dose of morphine so that she could go down to the cafeteria and have lunch (drink her Boost!).  The nurse said she should be fine to go downstairs - she wasn't going to fall down or anything.  WRONG!  She was passed out cold within 5 minutes.  Meth stayed with her in her room while Adam and I went to get lunch.  She slept from around noon until 4pm.  She was super tired from her big day yesterday, I guess. 
Still not eating, she drank another Boost when she got up.  Dr. Kellar came in during her nap and told me along with watching her WBC count to rise, to look for her monocyte and neutrophil count to rise - which they aren't.  She currently has no monocytes.  Monocytes show them that her bone marrow is producing normal cells and not leukemia cells.  I promised her she could watch the Twilight Saga so we began watching 'Twilight'.  I think she liked it...?  The nurse is afraid she's going to spike another fever soon so they are watching her closely. 

On another note, Adam went to meet someone (we will call her Mary) who wanted to buy some decorative mirrors from us off Craigslist.  She knows our situation and has read the blog.  She made a sizable donation in Haylee's honor in addition to buying our mirrors.  I would like for her to know that we are extremely grateful and humbled by her and her family's selfless act of kindness.  It means so much to us to know that there are still wonderful people in the crazy world we live in such as Mary, who still know what it means to love one another.

WBC - 2110
Platelets - 29,000
Hemoglobin - 9.3
Neutrophils or SEG - 2.0
Monocytes - 0

6 comments:

  1. Hey Girl, I was sad to finally get a chance to talk to you this morning since we moved and to hear this news. I am glad she is doing better and the road to recovery. I wish we were still there so I could be there for you, but know your family is in our prayers and we will do whatever we can for you guys. Stephanie Boyd

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ryane,
    My name is Heather and I work with your mom. I just wanted to let you know that my husband and I, along with our families and our church, are praying for your family and sweet Haylee. I pray everyday for strength for not just Haylee but for ya'll as well. I did have the pleasure of meeting Mason a couple of weeks ago and he is AWESOME!! Haylee is a beautiful little girl and from what I have read and heard a FIGHTER!! I hope and pray that she will be home for Christmas....and from the way things are sounding....I'm sure she will!! Keeping you in my prayers!!

    Heather Farr

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ryane.
    I am so sorry that you all are having to watch Haylee go through this. I have been praying for all of you daily. Haylee is a strong, beautiful and courageous little girl, and I know that she will fight this will all she has. I wish we lived closer so that I could come by for a visit, but if you need ANYTHING I am only a phone call away. I would like to send to kids something for Christmas or a goodie box of things to do while Haylee is getting stronger. Any suggestions of what they would like? I think of you all daily and hope that you can all be at home together for Christmas.

    Michelle Darnall

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle - call the center for ideas for the kids. They are doing SOOO much for us! Thank you for your prayers and support :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know she loved that she so loves animals. She is looking so much better. Let her know I love her so much and that Sky is asking about her everyday and can't wait to see her and play. I have faith that she will be home for Christmas she has always been a fighter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing this with us, Ryane! I feel like I can be there to support more often by reading and knowing how or what to pray for. As soon as I know the germies are gone from our house, I would like to come for another visit!

    Haylee, You and your family are SOO LOVED and we are pulling for you! Stay strong! We all know YOU WILL WIN THIS BATTLE! You are an awesome fighter with a strong determination. Leukemia has nothing on you! We will claim the victory now! Love you Haylee!

    ReplyDelete