My daughter, Haylee Kate, was diagnosed with APML Leukemia, which is a rare form, on November 21, 2011 at 8 years old. I thought this would be a good way for me to get my thoughts and feelings out and to let others know about her ups and downs throughout her treatment.

December 20, 2011

12/20/11 - Home Bound AGAIN!

Haylee had another good night!  She slept all night again.  The only thing is that she gets Benadryl at 4pm for her Vancomycin and then she sleeps until 6 or 7pm so when bedtime rolls around, she's not sleepy!  She is up until the 12am dose is due then sleeps all night.  Bad thing for her is when we go home, she will have to take the Benadryl by mouth instead of IV and she will have to start waking up for that along with her pills!  Guess I'll buy her an alarm clock so that's what is waking her up, making her grumpy and not me!
Dr. Cooper came in and said we will get to go home today (I won't get to meet Luke Bryan tomorrow but we're going home and I'm thrilled)!  Her counts are relatively good but her ANC is not where it needs to be.  She looks good, acts great, is eating and drinking...he said the main thing is hand washing and hand sanitizing all the time.  She doesn't have to wear a mask unless we go out into big crowds.  Any signs of fever, she's back again. 
We went downstairs to see the therapy dogs again.  She really enjoys them.  They send her in kind of a trance as she's petting them.  One of the dog owners asked Haylee is she wanted to have her picture taken with 2 of the dogs and she agreed.  The dog owner had a Polaroid camera so she gave Haylee the picture after it was taken and Haylee brought it over to me with a look on her face that said, 'What do I do with this?'  I explained to her what a Polaroid picture was (as the image was coming into view) and asked if she had ever seen one before and she said no.  She made me feel soooo old!!
We left today around 12:30pm!  We brought home 6 days worth of IV antibiotics - it doesn't seem like much but all of it has to go in my fridge and they look like baby bottles with a balloon inside.  It's weird looking.  Haylee can carry it around with her instead of having that pole to navigate (which is so much easier!).  I hooked up the first one today at 4pm with no issues.  It really is simple, just a few steps to remember.  Once we are here for good, it'll all become 2nd nature to me.  She has to get Benadryl by mouth since we're home and it didn't kick her butt at first, but it did put her to sleep.  She has to take the adult pills.  At least she's used to taking pills!
When it rains, it pours around here!  First, Haylee is diagnosed with leukemia. Second, I'm out of work for a undetermined amount of time to take care of her.  Third, Haylee has to see an opthamologist (she may need glasses).  Fourth, back to the hospital we go with fever. Fifth, we get home and are now having septic issues!  All in a month...literally.  It's been a month today since we headed to the urgent care where it all started.  It's been the longest and craziest month of my entire 30 years. 
The good thing through it all, the 4 of us are doing great!

WBC - 3360
Platelets - 282,000
HGB - 9.6
SEG - 4
Monocyte - 14
ANC - 130 (should be around 1000+)

6 comments:

  1. i LOVE hearing that!!! I am so proud of you HAYLEE KATE!! Continue to be strong girly! I love you all very much!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there! Its Nina Parker (formally robinson) I used to teach Haylee at Discovery Point. I think im best remembered for doing tina turner at karaoke. (just trying to jog ur memory:) I have to commend you for how ur handling this. I have been inspired just reading ur words. Please stay encouraged and knod know that im pulling for u and the entire family. I am so thrilled to hear that she is doing well and back home. I have been praying for all of you and following the blogs. I would really love to see her and do my special 'twas the night before christmas routine that my hubby and I do every year for different events during this season. If that is not possible we completely understand. I would however like to send you some cute pics I have of her from back in the day. I just need ur address. My email is godsfavored855@hotmail.com. God bless and I hope to hear from you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you Haylee's fever is gone and you are back home. We continue to keep your family in our prayers. God Bless all of you.

    The Hayes Family

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so happy you are back home! Both of you are a huge encouragement, and amazing girls! You looked really good Friday night. It was great to see you out. I hope to get to see both of you and talk to you soon! I pray that you can relax at home and enjoy your Christmas weekend. Love you and always praying.

    Kelly Craven

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ryane I am sooooo Happy you are back home. I love reading your post, so i know how your beautiful girl Is doing. Once again I know you are a strong woman, with alot on your plate. I think about you and your family on a daily basis.(Still suck at spelling !!! LOL) I know Haylee will get through this and be stronger than before. I love you and miss you. And we Still need to get kids together.

    Lots of love,
    Morgan and kids

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haylee is the strongest little girl I know she gives me strength. I love y'all and miss y'all so much see you soon. So glad she is home for the holidays!

    ReplyDelete