My daughter, Haylee Kate, was diagnosed with APML Leukemia, which is a rare form, on November 21, 2011 at 8 years old. I thought this would be a good way for me to get my thoughts and feelings out and to let others know about her ups and downs throughout her treatment.

December 5, 2011

12/5/11 - Had a busy day!





A lot went on around here today and Haylee joined in the fun!  I learned how to change her central line dressing - all by myself - as well as the cap on her central line tubes. 
She went to school for an hour around 10:45.  After school, she shopped in the North Pole Holiday Shop to pick out a present me and Adam (they would only let her do 2 so she couldn't get Mason one).  We had lunch with PawPaw and Daddy - well we ate Moe's/Cafeteria and she drank milk and looked at the aquarium!  She visited with PawPaw.  They joked around, played 'thumb war', and just talked.  My dad was tickled that she was doing good and happy.  That's the best he's seen her in a long time. 
She took a nap then Dr. Keller came in and took a look at her.  He said they are so impressed and happy with her progress.  Haylee asked him how long her mouth would hurt and he said by the end of the week she should feel a difference in the sores.  I asked him when he thought she would get to go home.  He said as long as her counts continued to rise, she stayed stable, and began eating and taking in fluids like normal...she could go home anytime.  He said we're now on a day by day stay.  That's the best news I've heard in almost 3 weeks!!  She's going to make it home for Christmas - I can feel it in my heart of hearts!!  She told me today she didn't want to be here during Christmas and I reminded her what Dr. Kellar said.  She said she could do it. 
They did the Christmas tree lighting tonight as well as brought in a band called 'Unhindered' to sing some Christmas songs.  They did a pretty good job.  I was taking pictures then she took the camera and took her own.  They lit the tree and had a bit of technical difficulty - the top half didn't light!  It was pretty anyway and Haylee had a good time.  She had to have some morphine after trying to eat a bit of dinner and they also started her on a new anti-fungal medication as a preventative treatment. 

The results of the blood cultures came back and all was negative :)

WBC - 1970
Platelets - 49
Hemoglobin - 9.4

1 comment:

  1. Keep strong haylee bug you have always been destine for great and wonderful things. This is just a bump in the road!

    ReplyDelete