My daughter, Haylee Kate, was diagnosed with APML Leukemia, which is a rare form, on November 21, 2011 at 8 years old. I thought this would be a good way for me to get my thoughts and feelings out and to let others know about her ups and downs throughout her treatment.

December 29, 2011

12/29/11 - Being a school teacher? Not for me.

Haylee and I ran around town on some errands....Ross, Hobby Lobby, Kohls - you know, errands!  She amazes me because once we get into a store, she doesn't want to wear her hat and almost immediately takes it off.  I love that she's got a 'whatever' attitude about her hair loss.  Me, on the other hand, not so much.  I would be too self conscious to go without a hat.  That's just me though!  When we were in Kohls today there was a boy, a little younger than her, that made a comment about her hair.  Neither of us knew what he said but Haylee said, "I think he was talking about me."  I said, "What did he say?"  She said, "I don't know but I think he said something about my hair."  I said, "Does it bother you?"  She said, "No."  Then I made her laugh by asking if I needed to go kick him for it.  She said no about that, too.  (Hehe!)
I told Haylee since she was behind on her schoolwork that she could play with Savannah today if she did work before and after their playtime.  She agreed but she is so easily distracted that if I were her teacher, I would go INSANE!  I literally sat with her at the table for over an hour while she finished everything just to keep her focused.  I'm sure being in a school setting is much easier because everyone else is working too and there's not little brothers, dogs, and TV around...but still, I would go crazy trying to keep her focused.  Props to her teacher, Mrs. Williams, for keeping her focused! 
It was Line Cap Change Day so naturally, I was nervous and still am!  I'll be watching her like a hawk for the next 24-36 hours.  She hates it but it still scares me how easy it was for her lines to be infected.  I'm sure she'll be fine, but I'll be watching anyway!!

1 comment:

  1. Makes me smile to hear how strong she is about everything. Even more so how she is driving you crazy with the attitude... means she's doing GREAT! lol Keep up the good Miss Haylee :) Hope we can come visit soon!! Jordan is all finished with his antibiotics, Todd is almost over his cold, and I just kicked a 24 hour stomach bug! We are not good to be around just yet! lol Soon!! I love you guys! Glad you had a wonderful Christmas and that Haylee was home for it. See you soon :)
    Love, Stephy, Todd, & Jordan

    ReplyDelete