My daughter, Haylee Kate, was diagnosed with APML Leukemia, which is a rare form, on November 21, 2011 at 8 years old. I thought this would be a good way for me to get my thoughts and feelings out and to let others know about her ups and downs throughout her treatment.

January 5, 2012

1/5/12 - Rest of the school year...taken care of!

Arsenic infusion went off without any issues!  We were there at 8:30am and out by 11:45am.  Pretty good day if you ask me!
I had a meeting at Haylee's school along with the H/H teacher today.  She's set for the rest of the year.  Her assignments will come in 1-2 weeks at a time.  The H/H teacher will come to our house and work with her and she will get instruction time during clinic as well.  I was worried about the CRCT test this year but since she's ahead in her academics, she has 1 of 4 options and they will all depend on her treatment schedule:      1) the H/H teacher will administer the test at our house, 2) she will have the option to make up the reading and math portions in May, 3) she could attend school when the test is being administered should her counts be fine and she's not inpatient at the time, 4) she just doesn't take it and according to her teacher and the assistant principal that would be fine.  She would still go to 4th grade without taking the test.  I also let them know that she will have 2 weeks where she won't be in clinic and she could return to school at that time as long as her restrictions are followed (no PE, unlimited breaks, close watch during recess, ability to wear hats, carry around hand sanitizer and a water bottle, etc.). 
I gave her teacher the Monkey In My Chair monkey that 'replaces' her at her desk when she can't attend school.  It gives the kids a way to 'include' Haylee in their everyday activities and allows them to journal about their day with the monkey, take pictures with the monkey, and even name it.  Haylee will get to see and read about the things they have done with the monkey when she is able to return to school.  She was excited that she may be able to go to school for a few weeks.  Regardless of what she may say, she misses school.  Haylee is one of those kids who actually likes school!  She must of gotten that from her Nonna, because she didn't get it from me or Adam!!
She's been complaining that the skin itches under the dressing covering her line so I thought maybe it was from the actual dressing itself.  I changed her dressing 2 days early in hopes that putting a different dressing on her may help...I think I made it worse.  Since it has to be cleaned with Chloraprep and her skin underneath is sensitive, it's like putting rubbing alcohol on scraped skin.  Poor baby, it's been burning!  The skin underneath has a raised rash on it.  I called the Hem/Oc doctor on call at Egleston and he didn't seem too concerned unless she was running a fever (which she's not).  I gave her some Benadryl and had her rub and icepack on it but it only helps some.  She will be fine for a minute and crying the next.  I don't know what to do for her and she won't leave it alone enough for it to 'calm down'.  I can imagine that it's uncomfortable but I'm just at a loss on this one.  I don't know what to do.

1 comment:

  1. That's awesome...I love the monkey idea. I hope the rash is nothing and the discomfort goes away soon. Poor baby.
    Love, Stephanie Boyd

    ReplyDelete