My daughter, Haylee Kate, was diagnosed with APML Leukemia, which is a rare form, on November 21, 2011 at 8 years old. I thought this would be a good way for me to get my thoughts and feelings out and to let others know about her ups and downs throughout her treatment.

January 4, 2012

1/4/12 - Insurance...friend or foe??

Haylee's clinic visit was a good one!  I hope it keeps going this smooth for the entire Consolidation 1!!  This has been the easiest part aside from driving back and forth everyday.  To answer a question that was asked by Michelle if she will be able to return to school part-time, to be honest I'm not sure of that answer.  Consolidation 1 consists of 66 days of Arsenic treatments (Monday-Friday for 10 weeks with a 2 week break between each 5 week session). Because the treatments are daily, she may only be able to return to school for 'social visits' only.  And since she's in remission and her immune system is normal, I won't feel like I'm putting her in harms way (except her having her CVL line dangling from her chest which will have me worrying all the time). 
Adam went to the pharmacy today to pick up a prescription for her anti-nausea medication.  The pharmacist said she was terminated from her Wellcare insurance.  Can you imagine the terror that I went through at that moment??  In a nutshell and after calling Peachcare (twice), Georgia Healthy Families, and Wellcare, she was terminated from Wellcare and enrolled in SSI Medicaid as of January 1, 2012 because of her SSI disability benefits kicking in at the beginning of December.  Because I paid for both the kids Peachcare coverage before January 1, she still qualifies for Peachcare through January. Do you think anybody thought this was something I needed to know??  Apparently not, because I wasn't informed at all.  No letter, no email, no phone call, no certified letter, no singing telegram...nothing.  Medicaid requires pre-authorizations on certain medications and doesn't at all cover the cost of Haylee's line supplies (line caps, dressing changes, flushes, etc.) or skilled nursing visits like Wellcare did.  We will have to pay out-of-pocket for the cost of monthly delivery of supplies.  UGH!  If it's not one thing, it's another!!!  At least I didn't find out when she was in need of medications or supplies or that she isn't covered at all!  I did breathe a sigh of relief that she's still covered and that's whats most important!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Ryane -

    Just asked about the returning to school because we had a young boy at our school 2 years ago that was struggling with cancer. Throughout his treatments he would come to school for a few days here and there, and I know how much he enjoyed staying connected to his friends. He is in remission now and is enjoying life as a healthy 5th grader. Stay strong......thinking of you all......

    ReplyDelete