My daughter, Haylee Kate, was diagnosed with APML Leukemia, which is a rare form, on November 21, 2011 at 8 years old. I thought this would be a good way for me to get my thoughts and feelings out and to let others know about her ups and downs throughout her treatment.

January 12, 2012

1/12/12 - It all fell into place

What a better day!  We only circled for about 5 minutes looking for a spot today!  We were 5 minutes early, waited about 5 minutes for reception to call us back for infusion, the pharmacy was on their game making all the medications, and Maggie hooked us up at 10:50am on the nose.  Haylee got an hours worth of school work in today and I got some work done for Cyndi and Tammi :).  We were outta there at 1pm!  The quickest EVER!!  The only thing bad I can say for the day is that we sat in traffic this morning from Plesant Hill to 285 then it started backing up again just before Clairmont so we jumped off there and rode it in.  Somehow we made it on time! 
I had to change Haylee's dressing and line caps today.  I was nervous because 1) it's just nerve-wracking to do since you have to stay as sterile as possible and I second guess everything I do all the time and 2) she was just getting to the point where it wasn't itching or irritating her and here I go and mess with it.  She was doing so good with the rash that she didn't even need Benadryl last night for the first time in a week.  By the time I got most of the dressing off is when she complained that it hurt a little.  I was waiting for the screaming and complaining when I started cleaning the site with the Chloraprep solution but she just laid there and watched TV without a peep!  I was so proud of her...she did AWESOME!!!  The best yet!  Line cap changes went off without a hitch, although that still makes me nervous...everytime.  I mean, it's a direct line to her heart and the smallest bit of bacteria can send us back to the hospital.  I keep a very close eye on her for about 24 hours after I change her dressings and caps.  It bugs her because I'm constantly asking her if she's feeling alright or if she feels any different and checking her for fever.  I'm a nervous mommy, what can I say!?  Since she has an immune system now, she can fight that stuff off better and that helps ease my mind some. 

No comments:

Post a Comment