My daughter, Haylee Kate, was diagnosed with APML Leukemia, which is a rare form, on November 21, 2011 at 8 years old. I thought this would be a good way for me to get my thoughts and feelings out and to let others know about her ups and downs throughout her treatment.

January 20, 2012

1/20/12 - She can see!!

Soooo cute with her glasses!  (MJ, she has your jammies on and loves those too!)
We made it down to the hospital in record time but again had to circle around for a parking space.  We got lucky and found a good spot on the first level after about 10 minutes of circling.  We were taken right back to the infusion side and hooked up by 10:45am.  Haylee worked on school work the entire time but got a short break when 'Dr. Pucci' and his sidekick came by for a few laughs.  We were outta there by 1:00pm.  Traffic was light on the way home too.  Not too bad for Friday in Atlanta.  We have to go back and be admitted in the morning for infusion, have Sunday to relax, then back to Monday-Friday treatment days.  Tomorrow should be our last Saturday for treatment. 
Dr. Abdella came by and let me know that the Emory eye doctor that they often use is fitting her in on Wednesday to check out her eyes after her MRI and LP.  The Emory doctor will be more familiar with what we could be dealing with in her eyes whether it be leukemia, fungus, or whatever other possibilities it could be.  We should have a definite answer Wednesday or Thursday of next week.  Dr. Abdella had a good saying that her and the Hem/Oc docs use...'We hope for the best, but are prepared for the worst'. 
Haylee and I had to swing by the center to get Mason early so Adam could take him to the doctor.  He has croup...again!  The doctor is concerned because he gets croup too much and may refer him to an ENT if he gets it again.  He was given a steroid and sent home. 
Haylee's homebound teacher came by for about an hour and she got a good bit of work done.  Since she got behind on her work this week, she has until Sunday morning to finish this week's work or I told her I would ground her until she got caught up.  I'm pretty sure she will get it done :)
The vision center called to let me know Haylee's glasses were ready for pick up so we went this afternoon to get them.  She looks soooo cute in them!  She was excited about getting them too.  She wanted me to put in the blog they are redish/pinkish Victorious glasses (LOL).  Almost like a dark magenta, I guess??  She made me pinky swear that I would tell everyone and you know what they say...you can't break a pinky promise!  After she put them on and started looking around she said, "Mommy, I can see and it's not blurry!"  We passed a sign and she said, "The paint on that sign is peeling."  I had to look hard to see what she was talking about!  She really likes her glasses and I'm glad.  She takes things so well these days (needing glasses, having to get another MRI, the LP, all the treatments, eye doctors, etc.).  Like my dad says, she's aged beyond her years and knows way too much than she should know at her age (or any other 8 year old for that matter).  She handles things better than most adults!!

3 comments:

  1. So proud of Ms. Haylee! I LOVE THE GLASSES and the fact that they are VICTORIOUS!!!
    Stephanie B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is trying to more and more like Ms. Kim lol! Short hair glasses everything! Maybe it is me trying to be more like her that is most likely more true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We Love Love Love the glasses!! And we are sooo proud of her. Hugs and kisses!!
    Aunt Sherry and Uncle Jay

    ReplyDelete