My daughter, Haylee Kate, was diagnosed with APML Leukemia, which is a rare form, on November 21, 2011 at 8 years old. I thought this would be a good way for me to get my thoughts and feelings out and to let others know about her ups and downs throughout her treatment.

February 26, 2012

2/25/12 - Haylee's line was pulled out today :(

Haylee out cold after they pulled her line :(
My mom called me last night to let me know they would be pulling her line out today.  Since she's had 2 infections and the current one is hard to kill, it makes sense (but I don't like it!).  Adam, Mason, and I drove down for the procedure this morning.  I wanted to make sure everything was going to go as planned and nothing unexpected was going to take place. 
Haylee and my mom were in the playroom when we got there.  She knew what was going to be happening and really wasn't scared - just a little nervous but who wouldn't be!  Leah, her nurse (and the charge nurse who I just love), brought her in some Versed to help relax her and make her loopy before the procedure.  She was REFUSING to take it.  She knew it tasted bad and was not having it.  My mom and I left and Leah dealt with her and eventually got her to take it.  She was super mad!!
The surgeons came upstairs to get her and take her down to the OR.  She had to go potty when we got down there but since she had taken the Versed, she was considered a fall risk.  A bedpan was the only way to go and that was quite a feat!  Her nurse was a man and he didn't want to invade her privacy so it was just me and her having to get it done.  Eventually, she went and we got her all relaxed again.  By the time she went back, she was laughing and giggling and I felt better about it. 
The procedure went very well even though she had a reaction to something when they took the dressing off of her.  They gave her IV Benadryl to help so with that and the gas they used to put her to sleep, she was out cold for hours.  The doctors came in to talk to us and told us they were going to send her home tomorrow!!  She doesn't need her line until she goes back inpatient, all of her arsenic treatments can go through the IV they put in her hand as an alternative and the blood cultures can be taken from it.  That was exciting news!!!! 
She woke up at about 3pm and was feeling fine.  She ate and drank like the doctors wanted.  Her and my mom also went downstairs to see the therapy dogs.  A little after 7pm, my mom called me to let me know that the blood culture they took on Friday before the line came out was positive for the Baccillus.  So, in turn, it was a great thing that the line came out.  Because of the positive blood culture, she won't be coming home Sunday.  She has to have 1 negative blood culture and then she can head for home!  I'm thinking Monday or Tuesday (probably more like Tuesday) but we still have clinic everyday so that won't change.  We'll be glad to get back into our normal clinic routine with Maggie!

"Courage is tiny pieces of fear all glued together." - Terry Guillemets

No comments:

Post a Comment