My daughter, Haylee Kate, was diagnosed with APML Leukemia, which is a rare form, on November 21, 2011 at 8 years old. I thought this would be a good way for me to get my thoughts and feelings out and to let others know about her ups and downs throughout her treatment.

February 22, 2012

2/21/12 - A late night ER visit

My mom took Haylee down for infusion today.  I sent her with a little note for Maggie and Tracey.  Maggie loved it!  Haha!  She got all of her school work she could do (she didn't have her Math book with her).  That's all she has left for the rest of the week!  Mom said she was everywhere and then complained of a headache just before they left.  Maggie went to give her some Tylenol, but Haylee refused.  Maggie mentioned to the doctors that she was on her 2nd day of headache and they said they would discuss it in their rounds tomorrow and get with me tomorrow about what they discussed. 
Mom and Haylee went to Steak n Shake afterwards and she seemed to be fine.  Mom dropped her off with me at daycare and she played with the School-agers all afternoon since I had to close at work.  Around 5:30, she came up front complaining that her legs were hurting.  I had her sit down and relax since they had been outside all afternoon.  I figured they were sore from playing or something like that. 
When we got home, she had some dinner then went in her room and went to sleep.  I figured because of that something was wrong.  I took her temperature and it was 101.3.  I went ahead and put her in the bathtub since I figured that we would be making a trip down to the ER.  After her bath, I took her temperature again (101.6) and called the clinic after-hours line and the doctor said to go ahead and bring her down for blood cultures and a CBC. 
We headed down and took our thermometer with us.  Every so often, I took her temperature and it was going down on its own (I'm not allowed to give her any medications for fever without the doctor giving permission).  It went from 101.6 when we left our house to 100 when we pulled in the ER parking lot 45 minutes later. 
The ER was packed!!!  Since she's a Hem/Oc patient and she had a fever, we were shuffled back rather quickly.  The nurse came in and drew her cultures and CBC labs, got her vitals, and then we waited...and waited.  Finally after about 1 1/2 hours, her counts came back looking good and her fever was down to a normal 98.6.  Since she was acting fine and they couldn't find a source of infection, they sent her home and said they would call me if the cultures grew back positive.  We walked through our door at 1am this morning :(

No comments:

Post a Comment