My daughter, Haylee Kate, was diagnosed with APML Leukemia, which is a rare form, on November 21, 2011 at 8 years old. I thought this would be a good way for me to get my thoughts and feelings out and to let others know about her ups and downs throughout her treatment.

June 20, 2012

6/20/12 - Lindsay time, a new friend, and washing away sadness

Again, we slept in until 10am this morning.  We were up and around for about 45 minutes when Dr. Pucci and Dr. Daisy made their weekly appearance.  They were tossing tissues around the room, playing tug-o-war with his guitar and confusing Dr. Daisy.  They really get her laughing pretty good when they visit so if I minded the clowns before, I don't now :)
Lindsay dropped by around 12:30pm and took Haylee out and about for a while, just because.  Her last day is Friday and I think Lindsay is soaking up as much time with Haylee as she can.  Plus, she turned Layne loose on clinic today all by herself to get used to it.  They were back about 1:45pm, then Haylee and I headed downstairs for the 'Peter Pan' performance.  The group ended up running late so we killed some time and shopped in the gift shop.  She bought herself a stuffy and bought Mason one, too (both with her own money she earned from port accesses).  A boy about Haylee's age came in the gift shop with a cast/boot on his leg and knocked something over, making a little mess, and Haylee helped him clean it up.  As Haylee was at the register paying for her stuff, the boy's mom asked me if she was my daughter and I said yes.  She said that the boy (whose name is Dalton) wanted to buy her a teddy bear that was holding a cloud that says 'Believe' and asked if it was OK.  They bought it and Dalton gave it to her.  We ended up exchanging addresses so that Haylee and Dalton could be pen pals.  Turns out Dalton has been sick most of his life and has a port as well.  Usually, they go to Scottish Rite for his medical needs but they were at Egleston today for a bone scan (and have never been to Egleston before).  Having a pen pal, especially one that goes through some of the same stuff as her, will be good for Haylee to have.  It's funny how people meet and things work out!!  I was texting with Dalton's mom tonight and he already wrote Haylee a letter.  They're putting it in the mail tomorrow.  How cute is he!  I told Haylee his letter will be coming in the next few days and she got so excited - she loves getting mail!
Finally, the 'Peter Pan' group showed up and did their performance.  The songs were all a Capella, there were no props, and they worked in a small area.  The performers all had costumes, but that was it.   It was cute and they did a good job.  The hospital gave out 'Tinkerbell' tutus and superhero capes to go along with the performance.  Haylee got one for herself and grabbed one for her BFF, Savannah, too!   


So cute in her tutu!

We headed back upstairs and Lindsay showed up again to take Haylee away for about 30 minutes.  They went snooping in the Volunteer Services 'Magic Closet' for something to do.  She came back with her very own Sand Art.  One of them was a butterfly and she made it for Lindsay as a going away present as well as a 'Hope for Haylee' bracelet.  We hope she likes it!
Adam and Mason came for dinner and a visit.  Haylee gave Mason his stuffed animal and he really liked it.  After dinner, we all went down to the garden so the kids could play and spend time together.  It was a nice visit.  It's always hard when they leave cause we just want to go with them. 
Normal routine as usual but we added in Justin Bieber's 'Around the World' NBC show to the mix.  She loved it!  It's on tomorrow, too, so I imagine we will be watching it as well.

The JB record she got from Wendy at The Voice

We love The Beebs!

 A conversation started by her saying she thought I was a wonderful mother and that she's not always the best daughter because she's mean to me sometimes.  I told her that she was the absolute best daughter and she's just acting like a 9 year old acts and that I may not like how she acts all the time but that I still think she's the best no matter what she does or how she acts.  She said she's been sad for the past few days because she misses her family and friends and is just done being at the hospital.  Ironically, I've been feeling the same way the past few days.  I told her that we were almost done with the hospital stays and that we've got each other to lean on while we're here.  I also asked her to please not hold back how she's feeling from me and that she could tell me anything.  She said she just didn't want to make me sad and that's why she didn't say anything.  I told her it made me sad that she didn't say anything so we could work through it together.  She said she would start telling me and that she wasn't sad anymore since we talked about things and that the only thing she was sad about now was that Lindsay was leaving :(  I'm glad she told me and we got it all out in the open.  She was back to Happy-Go-Lucky Haylee when she went to bed. 

No changes in counts - no changes in anything!  Haylee still feels good and acts fine.  She started the Vori today...so far, so good. 

WBC - 2030
HGB - 8 (if this drops anymore, she'll get a blood transfusion...let's hope not!)
Platlets - 73k
ANC - 0
SEGs - 0
Lymphs - 98 (this needs to start coming down)

The fundraiser is still going on!!  We really would like to reach at least half of our goal to ensure that all of our financial obligations can be taken care of.  Please promote through Facebook, Twitter, and through email to get the word out!!!  Thanks! 
http://www.youcaring.com/fundraiser_details?fundraiser_id=1892&url=hopeforhaylee


Please pass this along to any and everyone who can help!  If you are aware of any other way to get the fundraiser out in the community, please let me know!

1 comment:

  1. That just made me cry. She is going to be such an amazing women! She is so strong and thoughtful. Hope u get to come home next week! Fingers crossed! Love, Stephy

    ReplyDelete