My daughter, Haylee Kate, was diagnosed with APML Leukemia, which is a rare form, on November 21, 2011 at 8 years old. I thought this would be a good way for me to get my thoughts and feelings out and to let others know about her ups and downs throughout her treatment.

March 13, 2012

3/12/11 - Cameo in an interview?

Monday's clinic was long as usual.  Stacy (one of the PAs) did come in and see Haylee and everything is still going good.  We discussed briefly about her next inpatient stay.  She could go in as early as the first week of April.  In a way, I hope she does so we can get a weeks jump on everything but in a way I don't want her to so she gets another week of school and freedom that she won't get for a long time.  She will get a bone marrow aspiration as early as the 30th but results wouldn't be back until 4/2 at the earliest.  If she's still in remission, she could start Consolidation 2 that week.  The only way I see that happening is if they can get everything moving that fast.  Counts still looked good :)
Brittany came by and visited with Haylee for a few minutes.  Apparently, CNN wants to do a story about Child Life and Brittany would be the one being interviewed for the story.  She asked both Haylee and I if Haylee could be a part of the story!  Brittany said she thought Haylee would be great because she's so animated and photogenic.  How neat will that be for everyone, especially Haylee?  People will really get to see how great Child Life is and my baby will be a part of that!  It won't be a TV spot or anything...probably print article which I guess could be seen online.  I don't have all the details yet but I will share them as I get them.  
Maggie had to do a dressing change on Haylee's PICC line today.  I tried to get Haylee to let Molly (one of the AFLAC clinic nurses) do it since we were just sitting there waiting around with nothing to do, but she refused....she wanted Maggie!!  I stayed while it was being done which I haven't before.  It's very similar to the CVL dressing change except there's this little piece that keeps the line in place that sticks to her skin and the line isn't stitched up.  When Maggie was getting ready to start cleaning the area, she and I both noticed what looked like an ulcer on her arm just below the insertion site.  Dr. Keller was called over to look at it.  He seemed a little puzzled by it but since it wasn't inflammed or seem to bother her, he said just to clean it up and change the dressing at the end of the week to check on it again.  Maggie used the Biopatch to cover the insertion site as well as the 'ulcer' to see if that helped.  She hasn't complained about it and seems to be fine. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment