My daughter, Haylee Kate, was diagnosed with APML Leukemia, which is a rare form, on November 21, 2011 at 8 years old. I thought this would be a good way for me to get my thoughts and feelings out and to let others know about her ups and downs throughout her treatment.

April 2, 2012

3/30/12 - BMA and 1st Chemo injection

Haylee was scheduled for her quarterly bone marrow aspiration this morning.  She had to be at the cardiac center at 9am for an EKG and Echo just to make sure she's handled everything well so far.  We got into the procedure room around 10:30.  I met with the procedure nurses, Stacy (one of the PA's), and the anethesiologist handling her Propofol and Fentynal.  I asked the anethesiologist if it was possible to give her the Propofol a little faster so to avoid the whining she does when it starts.  He said it was something he could do but would have to put her on oxygen for the procedure and asked if I was okay with that.  I told him I was fine with it. 
Stacy came in to let me know they were going to go ahead and administer her first round of IT chemo (into her spine) along with the bone marrow aspiration so they didn't have to put her under twice.  I was fine with it once I found out it wasn't going to affect her since we are planned to go out of town tomorrow. 
Lindsay came to hang out with Haylee and gave her a present from her friend Kayson (a bookbag to color on) and also to keep her mind off of what was happening around her.  They began to administer the Fentynal and Haylee immediately became loopy.  When they started the Propofol, she immediately threw her hands up to her ears, scrunched up her face, then went limp noodle.  I stepped across the hall while the procedure was being performed and within 10 minutes, she was done.  They went ahead and changed her dressing on her PICC while she was still under.  She started to wake up and she woke up ANGRY!!  She only yelled at me once :)  She ate some goldfish, played on Lindsay's Ipad, and then we left.  We were back in town by 1:30.  It went so fast and she did GREAT!! 
We're headed to Helen for a long weekend tomorrow for some much needed fun and family time before Tuesday :)

2 comments:

  1. Thinking about you.... I hope you enjoyed your trip..

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't know me but I am a friend of Stepahnie's. Haylee is precious and what a wonderful little TV appearance she made. I am glad to get to know who she is and your blogs are wonderful and inspiring. Thank you for that. You and Haylee and your husband and little boy are all in my thoughts and prayers. God bless and keep you in his wonderful care.

    ReplyDelete