My daughter, Haylee Kate, was diagnosed with APML Leukemia, which is a rare form, on November 21, 2011 at 8 years old. I thought this would be a good way for me to get my thoughts and feelings out and to let others know about her ups and downs throughout her treatment.

April 6, 2012

4/6/12 - Port placement day!

Another great night!  Haylee slept good and only got up once.  The nurses had to come in at 6am and administer eye drops and she handled it pretty well.  It kept her up for a bit then she went back to sleep.  I had to wake her up around 9am.
Dr. Ricketts, the surgeon performing her port placement, stopped by around 8:30 this morning to go over the surgery with me.  He said he was going to have them hold her chemo and get the port placed this morning.  I was thankful for that so that she didn't have to go all day without eating. 
Her nurse came by around 9:30 and gave her some Versed to make her loopy before surgery.  She went down to surgery around 10:30 and they called me around 11 to let me know she was still in surgery but doing well.  Adam showed up shortly after that to sit with me and, hopefully, to see Haylee awake before he had to go back to work.  Dr. Ricketts met us in a consult room after surgery to let us know that she did great and they had to place the port on the side where she had the CVL because they couldn't get the port line into the correct vein on her right side.  He thought it was probably because she still had the PICC line in her arm.  They weren't going to take it out without making sure the port was placed correctly and worked.  The recovery nurse brought her back up to us around 12:30pm and she was pretty much awake when she got back...a little sleepy though.  By the time Adam left, she was awake and drinking apple juice.  She ate a bagel about an hour later and was feeling pretty good.  After she woke up really good, we went to the library and checked her out a movie to watch.  Her nurse came in right after we came back and hooked up her last Cytarabine chemo for this round!  She begins the Mitoxantrone (also known as "Smurf Chemo") as soon as the Cytarabine is done.  She will get it again tomorrow evening as well and be FINISHED with chemo for this round! 
Colleen came by and checked on her and said her counts looked good still.  Nothing new from her except she looked good after surgery and as long as she kept drinking on her own, she could stay unhooked except during chemo treatments and infusions until further notice :)  Haylee's pretty happy about that!! 

Nonna is with Haylee for the weekend so I will update everyone on Sunday when I get back!  Have a great weekend and Happy Easter!! 

5 comments:

  1. So it sounds to me like she is kicking butt.... As usual!!! That is wonderful.... :) :) still praying though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just re-read your post... I know I'm a dork. It amazes me how much crap you guys have to go through in a day. I'm so glad she has been tolerating her chemo so well to this point. Such a blessing. Even though she has not been too sick I know she is still going through so much. God love her.... She is one tough little girl. Strong like her Mamma. Thanks for keeping us posted... I have lots of people praying for you daily. And I know God is going to see Haylee through this. I love you guys...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking about you guys and sending lots of love your way!!! Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ryane you are such an amazing mommy! And Haylee is such a strong girl! Thanks for posting these blogs,I love being able to keep up with y'all. Miss you! And I am constantly praying for y'all. Love, Michelle W

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad to hear that the beginning of this round is going so well for her. Give Haylee a hug from us. Prayers still coming...... Stay strong!

    ReplyDelete