My daughter, Haylee Kate, was diagnosed with APML Leukemia, which is a rare form, on November 21, 2011 at 8 years old. I thought this would be a good way for me to get my thoughts and feelings out and to let others know about her ups and downs throughout her treatment.

April 20, 2012

4/20/12 - The mountain shrunk down to a really big hill


Haylee with all the Jimmie stuff


Posing with her Jimmie snuggie :)

Reaccess day!!  I guess in anticipation of it, neither of us slept very well.  Haylee was up and down, as usual and I wasn't asleep until after 2am.  The night and day nurses came in about 7:45 and put the EMLA on her port site and said they would be back around 8:30 or so.  They came back, with Versed in hand, and Haylee saw that.  I knew then it would be hard for her to not want it and even harder for me to battle with her since it was right there.  I chose to let her have it but told the nurse to cut the dose in half (which she did).  Danielle (CL) was brought in and her, Haylee, and I sat around and chatted for a bit before they brought in their supplies.  Haylee got up to use the restroom and somewhere in there, she lost all confidence she had.  She said she forgot what it felt like, she was scared, she wanted Leah to do it (she wasn't there today), etc.  My deal with her was that as long as she stayed in her bed and did the best she could to stay calm, I would stay in the room.  She broke her part so I left.  We were on a time schedule with the EMLA and was getting really close to that time frame when the EMLA would stop working so I told them to do what they had to do.  I stayed just outside the door and listened to her yell at the nurses about how she had it and to let her go.  It went dead quiet for about 30 seconds and then I heard the nurses say how it was over and she did great!  The whole thing took about 30 minutes - much different than almost 2 hours.  I walked back in and they went to flush her and couldn't.  They also weren't getting any blood return.  They had to move it around (without taking it out) to get it positioned right but after a couple of minutes, they finally did.  I held it together the entire time :)

The differences/accomplishments with this compared to Tuesday:

1. There was only 3 nurses and 1 Child Life today.  Tuesday had 5 nurses, 2 lab techs, and 1 Child Life.
2.  She didn't seem to stress as much today as Tuesday.
3.  She didn't cry as much today but yelled and argued more.
4.  I was prepared for the worst and held it together today.
5.  She was on Versed today and not on Tuesday.  Not necessarily a good thing but it was a difference.
6.  She accomplished 2 of the 4 things on her reward chart - keeping her hands away from the site and not looking when they accessed her.  She gets her frozen yogurt :)

The Versed finally wore off in time for school.  After school, we got a package from Hendrick Motorsports full of lots and lots of cool #48 racing stuff!!  I was so excited (Jimmie's my fav!)!  Haylee really liked the hats, the shirts for her, a pearl bracelet, and the die cast car.  They sent her a signed postcard from Jimmie Johnson and a picture of him with Rick Hendrick, his crew chief, and all 5 of his trophies.  We loved it!!! ( Thank you, thank you, thank you to Michelle!!!!!  We're looking forward to Tuesday's package from you! )
Haylee opened her 'diner' in the playroom again today.  All the nurses comment on her diner.  They think it's cute.  Danielle and Lindsay (CL) came in and Haylee had her head shaved again.  Her hair started falling out in clumps again so she opted to have it shaved off so only the stuble would fall out.  She will probably be Mr. Clean bald before we go home.  She's fine with it and asked me to bring her some hats from home. 
Thanks to The Madison Childhood Cancer Foundation, we ate dinner from Moe's for free.  They give all the AFLAC families a gift certificate to zifty.com to buy whatever they want and have it delivered to the hospital.  What a great gift!!

Nonna is here for the weekend and I'll update Sunday night.  Have a great weekend!!!!

ANC - 0
SEGs - 0
Platelets - 49k

No where to go but up!!!

1 comment:

  1. So proud of you Haylee Kate... I love you!! I hope you have a Great weekend with your Nona! I'll see you soon! :) :) :) Ryane, I hope you enjoy your weekend too! I'm thinking about you... :)

    ReplyDelete