My daughter, Haylee Kate, was diagnosed with APML Leukemia, which is a rare form, on November 21, 2011 at 8 years old. I thought this would be a good way for me to get my thoughts and feelings out and to let others know about her ups and downs throughout her treatment.

July 2, 2012

7/2/12 - Quite a day

Today was just as the title says....quite a day.  Haylee went through so much and it was physically and emotionally exhausting for her, me, and PawPaw (who was here for his weekly visit with Haylee and much needed support).  She was stuck with a needle in her hand for an IV 3 times, an attempted port access (which we thought was successful), a port readjustment, and finally a successful IV on her inner forearm.  That was 5 needle pokes, not counting the finger prick she got this morning.  (I gave the short and condensed version because I just didn't want to live through it all over again.  It was hard enough the first time.)  She is going to be getting platelets tonight because they were 19k and her gums started bleeding some.

After all was said and done, tomorrow is going to be a long and busy day:
 - Haylee is getting her port removed, BMA done, and LP with chemo done
 - Surgery probably won't be until the afternoon sometime since she's considered an 'add-on' to the current schedule (which is why the need for the platelets as well because they won't perform surgery without platelets being above 50k)
 - Nothing by mouth after 12am (no food, no liquids)
 - Waiting, waiting, and more waiting


Counts were better today, but not good enough to go home. 

WBC - 2560
HGB - 11.3
Platelets - 19k
ANC - 30 :)
SEGs - 1 :)
Lymphs - 84 :)
Monos - 14 :)

Shouldn't be long now!


The fundraiser is still going on!!  We really would like to reach our goal to ensure that all of our financial obligations are well taken care of.  Please promote through Facebook, Twitter, and through email to get the word out!!!  Thanks! 
http://www.youcaring.com/fundraiser_details?fundraiser_id=1892&url=hopeforhaylee


Please pass this along to any and everyone who can help! If you are aware of any other way to get the fundraiser out in the community, please let me know!

3 comments:

  1. I am praying for you BOTH! Today was a rough one... But it's over now... And tomorrow she will be asleep for most of it. I'll be with you in spirit. You are almost there.... Love you Ryane!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending love, prayers and positive thinking ur way! I would say getting stuck that many times in one day isn't something I would want to relive again either. Poor baby :( I know having the port was good on the infection part but I bet she will be glad to have it out. Keep strong Momma ur doing wonderful. I know Haylee knows it now but one day when she's a mom she will really truly know how blessed she is to have such an amazing mom. We love u both and I will be thinking about u two all day tomorrow. Hope it all goes well and she is home soon. I know your both beyond ready to be home in your own beds. And to go on that vacation as soon as possible. Love u bunches, Stephy, Todd, and Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  3. That does sound like quite a day! I am sure that you were both drained after all of that. Glad your dad could be there for extra support today! Ryane, you have been so strong throughout all of this, and Haylee has been giving it a good fight. We are praying that soon you'll be home with Haylee getting stonger everyday. Then you can all go on that vacation I know you want to go on. (a very much deserved one if I must say) Thinking of you all! Health and happiness ahead!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete