My daughter, Haylee Kate, was diagnosed with APML Leukemia, which is a rare form, on November 21, 2011 at 8 years old. I thought this would be a good way for me to get my thoughts and feelings out and to let others know about her ups and downs throughout her treatment.

July 10, 2012

7/10/12 - Count check-up

Haylee's been doing so good this week!!  It's been a nice long week; feels like we've been home for a month already and we LOVE it! 
Haylee had her check up with Dr. Abdella today, just for counts and a physical.  Counts were good so she doesn't have to wear a mask anymore :)  Unfortunately, counts were not good enough for her to start maintenance today.  Her platelets have to be at or above 100k and they were only 84k today.  She has to go back next Tuesday to check counts again but Dr. Abdella is confident that all counts will be where they need to be to start maintenance next week.
Maintenance consists of an 84 day cycle of ATRA for the first 14 days, Methotrexate (oral chemo) once a week during each cycle, and 6-MP (Mercaptopurine - oral chemo) every day.  Each cycle will have to be repeated 9 times.  She will have to visit clinic monthly to check counts and a physical and every 3 months, she will have to have a BMA and LP just to check to make sure all is still well.
I did a little bit of research on the chemo she will be taking (I know, I know - I shouldn't do that) and it can be some pretty nasty stuff.  Luckily the Methotrexate, which seems to be the worst of the 2, is a low dose (but has to take 13 pills of it at one time equalling 32.5mg).  The 6-MP is considered the least nasty and given in a normal pediatric dose (75mg 5x a week and 50mg 2x a week).  Crazy!!  I talked to another mom who's daughter has/had the same leukemia as Haylee and she takes somewhat of the same doses as Haylee will take (she's 10 years older than Haylee) and said she does fine with them and no side effects to speak of.  That made me feel better.  We've got the beach vaca coming and I don't want to have to come back early or have her not feeling bad while we're there.   I'm sure Haylee will do fine, but I'm a mom and I'll worry until I know she's going to handle it well. 
The results of last week's BMA and LP came back CLEAN!  There is no leukemia in her bone marrow or spinal fluid and she is still in molecular remission :)  I noticed on her count paperwork today her diagnosis says 'APML - in remission, in maintenance.  That was so good to see!

Prayers we can start maintenance next week!  Have a great rest of the week!

WBC - 3580
HGB - 9.8 (Doc said it should come up by next week)
Platelets - 84k (These as well)
ANC - 1450

The fundraiser is still going on!!  We really would like to reach our goal to ensure that all of our financial obligations are well taken care of.  Please promote through Facebook, Twitter, and through email to get the word out!!!  Thanks! 
http://www.youcaring.com/fundraiser_details?fundraiser_id=1892&url=hopeforhaylee


Please pass this along to any and everyone who can help! If you are aware of any other way to get the fundraiser out in the community, please let me know!

2 comments:

  1. Been waiting to read this all day! Great news before going to bed. Fingers crossed! Love ya! Stephy

    ReplyDelete