My daughter, Haylee Kate, was diagnosed with APML Leukemia, which is a rare form, on November 21, 2011 at 8 years old. I thought this would be a good way for me to get my thoughts and feelings out and to let others know about her ups and downs throughout her treatment.

July 21, 2012

7/17/12 - Maintenance started...check!

Haylee FINALLY started maintenance on Tuesday!  I had some major concerns about the medications she's going to be taking so Dr. Abdella walked me through every question that I had and answered them thoroughly.  She said Haylee was doing fine, she looked good, and her counts were great.  I brought all the medications with me to clinic and she started everything right there in the exam room.  No reactions thus far!  She started ATRA 2x a day for 14 days, MTX 1x a week (13 pills), 6-MP 1x a day at night, Tricor 3x a day, and Bactrim 2x a day only Saturday and Sunday.  Whew, that's alot to keep up with. 
She will finish the ATRA while we are at the beach so thats 1 pill we can take away for a while.  We have to keep her heavily sunscreened since all the chemo makes her skin sensitive to the sunlight.  I guess I'll have to find a swim cap to put on her!  Dr. Cooper wanted me to make sure that I put tons of sunscreen on her and to make sure it was hypoallergenic (haha!). 
We're so excited to go to the beach!  Mason starts PreK the Monday after we come back and Haylee will start 4th grade a week later.  Unfortunately, she has clinic the 2nd day of school but will be able to attend most of the day.  I'm so glad she will be able to start school with the rest of her peers and so is she!  

3 comments:

  1. This is awesome news! You guys enjoy the beach! Miss ya!
    Love,
    The Boyd's

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic news! Please tell her Laura hopes they are in the same class :) we start Girl Scouts in Sept, maybe she can join us! Enjoy the beach.

    ReplyDelete