My daughter, Haylee Kate, was diagnosed with APML Leukemia, which is a rare form, on November 21, 2011 at 8 years old. I thought this would be a good way for me to get my thoughts and feelings out and to let others know about her ups and downs throughout her treatment.

May 23, 2012

5/23/12 - Weekly clinic visit

Haylee had her weekly clinic visit yesterday.  It went really well!  Her counts look really good, even though her ANC went down to 940...it's a little low, but still decent.  Dr. Abdella said that it may drop a little bit more but that it should be on the rise in a few days.
The finger prick for counts was better...still took 10 minutes, but it's been the best so far.  She was able to pick a prize from the treasure box and is working her way up to Lindsay's Magic Closet :)  Lindsay is such an asset when we go to clinic.  What would we do without her?! 
Haylee's set to go back inpatient on June 5.  It was supposed to be May 29 but all the sedation rooms are booked solid because of the holiday next week.  If they can get us in earlier, they will.  With her starting the last round (yay!) into June, it could cut into her going to Camp Twin Lakes for Junior week by a few days.  We can drive her down to finish it out though.  Dr. Abdella said that if theres even a glimmer of hope that her counts are going to recover the week before camp, they will discharge her early so that she doesn't miss any part of camp. 
She's so excited about camp!  It will give her the opportunity to meet other kids going through some of the same things she's going through.  I think she needs that.  Her friends her don't totally understand what's going on and she needs to bond with other kids 'like her'.  Her friend, Carrie (she's 16), that she met in the hospital goes to Teen Week every year and has really talked camp up for her.  Stacy is one of they doctors on call that week and that makes me feel better since she's familiar with Haylee.  There will also be some nurses there that she will know and that will know her.  I know it's something I need to let her go but as a mom, it's scary to let my child, who was diagnosed with leukemia 6 months ago, leave me for an entire week to go to a camp hours away with no contact except letters.  I know she will be fine, she will be taken care of and she'll have a good time.  It's the mommy in me not wanting to let her go.  It'll be the longest week of my life!! 

We've got a busy weekend ahead of us this Memorial Day and we're so excited!  Have a great rest of your week and a safe Memorial Day!

1 comment:

  1. Aww I bet Bug is so excited! A real camp, not just DP. How fun! I am kinda jealous myself....
    You are an amazing Mommy Ry. It's only natural to be cautious and hesitant. Haylee and Mase are so lucky to have you!
    Love Ash
    PSST ONE MORE WEEK!

    ReplyDelete