My daughter, Haylee Kate, was diagnosed with APML Leukemia, which is a rare form, on November 21, 2011 at 8 years old. I thought this would be a good way for me to get my thoughts and feelings out and to let others know about her ups and downs throughout her treatment.

May 10, 2012

5/10/12 - A busy week of chemo

The fundraiser is still going on!!  Please promote through Facebook, Twitter, and through email to get the word out!!!  Thanks! 
http://www.youcaring.com/fundraiser_details?fundraiser_id=1892&url=hopeforhaylee

Haylee started chemo on Monday - only 3 doses this time around.  She has already had the Idarubin during our very first admission so we kind of know what to expect.  The difference between then and now is that she was very sick back then and now she's not.  So far, she has had 2 doses and is doing very well tolerating it up to this point.  It's orange and Haylee was told that her urine and tears could turn orange - she thinks that's so funny!  So far, they haven't but she keeps a lookout! 
Clinic on Monday went well, just long.  She had an ECHO and EKG, which were both fine.  Her counts were good - in the normal range.  Triglycerides were a bit high (200) but way down from the week before.  ATRA was started as normal so her triglycerides will vary for a while but as long as they are under 500, it's all good.  Dr. Kellar and Stacy said that she looks great and we'll just keep pressing on!  The port access went well...kind of.  The access itself was GREAT...the best yet.  She didn't cry, she wasn't restrained, and she didn't flinch when the needle went it.  The problem was that the nurse wasn't getting blood return and kept having to push and try and move the needle around.  Because of the pushing and pressure, she started crying because it was uncomfortable and painful.  It seemed like it took forever but it was finally manuvered in the right position and she got blood return!  Chemo was started and finished in no time. 
Tuesday, both kids had dentist appointments for regular cleanings.  They both did great and the cleanings went well.  Haylee had a few spots that they were watching but she ended up pulling those teeth out herself.
Chemo again on Wednesday.  The chemo itself is only 15 minutes long but we waited to have chemo hooked up for 2 hours (We got there at 10am and was back in a room by 10:25...long day...).  One doctor has sign off for the chemo and a 2nd doctor has to release the orders.  I'm sure I have no idea what I'm talking about when I say this but....I don't know why it takes so long for chemo to be released.  I mean, how hard is it to sit down for 5 seconds and click 'release' or actually sign something?  Again, I'm sure I have no idea what I'm saying.  Haylee kept herself busy on the infusion side with Lindsay and a few other kids playing Monopoly while she waited.  Our chemo takes place on the clinic side instead of infusion side because the chemo itself is so short and they want to be able to keep that chair open.  They don't count wait time, I guess. 
Haylee went to school this morning and I hope the day goes good.  She said her stomach hurt but also said she thought it was because she was hungry.  I had her eat something light and told her to call me if she needed me for anything.  Hopefully she has a great day!! 

Have a great rest of the week!

1 comment:

  1. Great news! She is such a fighter! I love you guys and think about you always. Still praying!!! :)

    ReplyDelete